At the time of its inception, Station 17 was built to protect new subdivisions that were popping up in the vicinity of the house.  Much of its time, however, was instead devoted to extinguishing marsh fires which ignited in the still undeveloped portions of the area.  The station was originally built with a library attached to it, however, the library was shut down and absorbed into the firehouse.  Today, Station 17 houses an engine, a ladder truck, and a flat bottomed 18 foot rescue boat.  Its first due area includes mostly residential properties and several schools.
Ladder 177
2005 Ferrara Inferno
  • Seats 5
  • 100' Mid-mount Tower ladder
  • 1500 GPM
Engine 178
2016 Ferrara Igniter
  • 1750 GPM
  • 500 Gallon Tank
Station 17
6616 Kawanee Street
Opened: 1964; Demolished 2015
New Station Reopened January 2017
18 foot Flat Bottomed Rescue Boat
  • 2007 Alumacraft
  • 1 of 3 owned by dept.; 1 of 21 in Jefferson Parish
  • 90 HP Honda Motor
Older/Other Photos: